Applicants must meet eligibility requirements, submit an application, and undergo a screening process before being approved as a candidate for a service dog. This process is designed to ensure that we can provide a dog that fits the needs of the candidates, and that a safe, healthy, loving home will be provided for the dog.
- Applicant/Handler must have a fenced in yard with minimum dimensions of 36′ x 12′ x 4′.
- Applicant/Handler must show ability and willingness to interact with the dog, and provide for the dog’s emotional, physical, and financial needs.
- Applicant/Handler may not have a pet dog in the home, unless an exception is made due to age or sickness of the pet dog. This guideline does not apply to other service dogs.
- For Service Dogs: Applicant desires independent living and/or an improvement in the quality of his/her life through the use of a Saint Francis Service Dog.
- For Facility Dogs: Employer and handler must show ability and willingness to partner with a Saint Francis Facility Dog to stimulate healing and recovery in Employer’s patients, clients, or students.
- Applicant/Facility must live or be located within our service area.
- Candidates and partners have the right to be considered to receive a dog regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, color, age, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran’s status or sexual orientation.
We serve the entire Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as areas within a 3-hour drive from the Saint Francis Facility at 8232 Enon Drive, Roanoke, VA 24019.